Monday, January 19, 2009

Live Your Life

So I just sang along to T.I. and Rihanna's song "Live Your Life" with my host brother, and we're currently watching Pimp My Ride on MTV. Am I really in Denmark or am I still in America? August (my host brother) said that the this one danish radio channel plays only American songs, all the hits. And his friend's father said that there is a store in Roskilde (the town I live in) that sells American food for Americans. So I guess you're never really far from America. They love us everywhere.

I had a wonderful conversation with my host dad Michael today about Obama. (Sidenote: Michael took me to school today so that I wouldn't get lost, and picked me up from school after my day was over. So sweet!) He was explaining to me why Obama is so symbolic for Denmar, and Europe in general, and why Europeans care so much about American politics. I already know about the superpower that is the U.S. and the fact that our presence is felt (probably forced in recent years) around the world due to the war in Iraq and Afghanistan and the economic recession, but it's amazing the impact America has on a tiny country like Denmark. Michael told me that in Denmark and Europe (specifically the other Scandinavian countries and France) immigration is a huge problem. I mean this in the sense that it is very difficult to immigrate to Denmark and if you are not Danish you are looked down upon and experience racism (to express this clearer, I read that in Denmark, a child can be considered special needs just because he/she doesn't speak English. That's ridiculous!). Racism and immigration have become a prominent issues in Europe. Thus, as Michael explained, having an American president that is Black speaks volumes in terms of the symbolism it means for the rest of the world; it sets a message and a model for how Europe should deal with and talk about race. So on Election night, when America showed citizens crying on tv and people around the world cheering in large crowds, Danish tv showed Danes crying for joy that Obama one. So you can only imagine how many people here are excited about the inauguration. Michael is coming home early from work tomorrow to watch it (since we are 6 hours ahead coverage starts at 4pm here). Today, while I was in an electronics store buying a converter, the cashier/worker said to me "are you excited for tomorrow" and stupidly I replied "for what?" (with a confused look on my face cuz I'm an idiot) and he replied, "for the inauguration!". So a lot of people here are excited, which in turn has made me even more proud of our country for chosing correctly! Although I'm bummed that I won't be at home to watch the inauguration (though skidmore does have class) DIS has set up a big screen tv for us to watch it, so I really won't be missing too much, and it will be interesting to watch it from an international perspective. I can't wait!



Oh p.s. Michael also said: Obama really has reinvented the meaning of hope and change.

p.p.s. my host brother August does not like Single Ladies by Beyonce. I might have to kill him.

No comments:

Post a Comment